When life moves, it can move pretty fast. So fast, that we forget to take care of the thing that needs the most care: ourselves. We can see that happening a lot, especially during times or relatively intense activity, like the holidays. So, now is the perfect time to reinforce self-care principles and bring some attention back to the center…
Here is a list of 10 achievable, self-care tips to heal the mind, body, and soul, and help bring all those pieces back into harmony.
1. Breathe deep. When we breathe deeply, we oxygenate our blood, which causes the brain to release endorphins. And in turn, endorphins help reduce stress in the body and decrease levels of pain.
2. Stop over-thinking! Over-thinking only presents you with anxiety in the present, making it difficult to get out of your own head as you obsess and worry about all the things that can possibly go wrong. It’s not a switch you can flip, but takes practice to stop. Embrace the now and what is and stop worrying about things you can’t change.
3. Forgive others. Forgive yourself. Forgiveness is one of the first steps to freeing yourself from the bonds that keep us from achieving full happiness. If you live in the past and hold on to grudges, you can never truly move forward. Remember, life is about growth. You have to move forward if you want to grow.
4. Remember your strengths. You have many of them! Remember what is uniquely YOU and all the things you excel at. Whether you’re an intentful listener, a loving partner, or a passionate student of the world, you have many and you shouldn’t forget what they are. Our weaknesses too often get most of our attention. No more!
5. Embrace joyful rituals. Create simple and easy-to-do rituals that ground you, and you’ll find your way ‘home’ no matter what life throws at you.
6. Cherish your friends. The wiser you become, the more you realize that life isn’t about things, but about people. Life is better when you’re able to experience and share things with loved ones. Remember this.
7. Unplug. Just do it. You can thank us later.
8. Exercise regularly. If you have an hour, do it for an hour. If you have thirty minutes, do it for thirty minutes. Just have 10 minutes? Good enough. Five minutes? Do it.
9. Be of service. Always look for ways to be of service… to people, to animals, to the environment, to spirit. Life gives to the giver and takes from the taker. Always find ways to give back, and keep giving. Let it inspire your life and your world.
10. Be yourself. Whomever this is, you are beautiful, you are loving, you are enough, and you are invaluable.